Mini or portable projectors are a direct and accessible way to watch whatever you want, on literally any surface. Their small size and occasionally adjustable features allow for flexible watching experiences.
Projectors have become a hot-commodity for work and entertainment purposes— in previous years, projectors’ cost and size made them awkward purchases for many people. They took up too much space, and it wasn’t easy to justify the price.
Now, technology and manufacturing have advanced so significantly that projectors are a highly sought after device.
Round out your entertainment system or beef up your work projects with a mini projector that can link directly to your iPhone and additional Apple devices.
- Why Connect A Projector To Your iPhone?
- Does Any Mini Projector Work With iPhone?
- How To Connect A Mini Projector To Your iPhone (step by step)
- What To Look For When Buying A Mini Projector?
- 3 Best Mini Projectors for iPhone
- Final Thoughts and Best Pick
Why Connect A Projector To Your iPhone?
Connecting your projector to your iPhone, iPad, or Mac laptop can open the door for direct streaming, projecting, and viewing on any surface. If you’re lying in bed watching a movie on your phone, fire up the projector and watch it on your ceiling instead.
If you’ve been modeling a new design on your iPad, connect it to your projector and present your results during a meeting thoroughly and effectively.
This projector can make viewing videos, photos, or presentations simple and visually attractive. Linking it to your iPhone makes projecting the content you reach for often viewable by all.
Does Any Mini Projector Work With iPhone?
You have several ways to hook up your mini or portable projector with your iPhone, and some methods are significantly more direct than others.
AirPlay allows users to mirror the screen from one Apple device to another Apple product or smart TV.
The simplest way to connect your iPhone to your projector via AirPlay is to plug in Apple TV. Apple TV is a small, square box that you can connect to your projector through its HDMI port.
You can also connect your iPhone to your projector through other universal mirror receivers. Those receivers are either physical devices, like an Apple TV, or software that you can download to your projector-connected computer that receives and communicates signals from Apple AirPlay.
Check out AirServer, as an example.
Consider a WiFi projector as a straightforward method for connecting your iPhone to your projector, just through your network.
Finally, you can also link your iPhone or iPad to a projector by using a simple Lighting to VGA adapter.
- Use the Lightning to VGA Adapter with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with Lightning connector.
- Supports mirroring of what is displayed on your device screen - including apps, presentations, websites, slideshows, and more - to...
- Simply attach your Lightning to VGA Adapter to the Lightning connector on your device and then to your TV or projector via a VGA...
With this adapter, users can hook their iPhone to a VGA cord and then to a projector. From there, users can mirror their smartphone’s screen through the projector.
How To Connect A Mini Projector To Your iPhone (step by step)
While we previously mentioned different ways to connect your iPhone to a mini projector, this section will detail precisely how to do that.
Apple TV and Mirroring Receivers
If you’re leaning toward connecting Apple TV or another similar mirror receiving device or software with your projector— then you’re in luck! This method is easy to follow and will work consistently, as long as you have stable WiFi.
Plug your Apple TV or mirroring receiver into the projector’s USB port. Keep in mind; Apple TV has an HDMI port. Look for projectors with HDMI ports or search for an adapter that can connect a USB cable with an HDMI cable.
If you’d rather connect your laptop to your projector and then mirror your iPhone through your computer, download a reliable, mirror-receiving software to your computer. Check out AirServer or Mirroring360 for downloadable software.
After you’ve followed the company’s advice for installation on your computer, you should see the receiver as an option in your iPhone’s Screen Mirroring settings.
For iPhone users who would prefer to cut out the middleman, look for projectors with WiFi capabilities. Connecting one of these projectors to your iPhone will depend on the device itself.
To connect your iPhone, ensure that your phone and projector are on the same WiFi network. After you’ve set up the WiFi connection on your projector, it should immediately pop up as a mirroring option on your phone.
You could opt to connect to this projector via a cable; In that case, connect the cable directly from your phone to the projector.
Other projectors may require you to download an app on your smartphone or device to communicate effectively with the receiver.
What To Look For When Buying A Mini Projector?
There are several essential features to consider when purchasing a mini projector, like video quality capabilities, portability, and audio levels. However, to specifically link your iPhone to your projector, we think the most important feature to look for is HDMI or VGA ports.
If your projector does not have a USB or HDMI port, it will be difficult to hook your projector up to Apple TV, an adapter, or any other device with AirPlay capabilities.
Beyond the port feature, consider looking for projectors that support higher video quality, like 1080p functions. Built-in speakers are great, and we recommend “stereo”-style speakers for optimal sound.
The location where you will mount the projector is also a deciding factor. If you will mount it in the corner for example, you may want to consider a Projector With Horizontal Keystone.
Finally, consider the mobility of the projector. A true “mini” projector is easily moved and adjusted.
3 Best Mini Projectors for iPhone
No products found.
Connect to your projector directly from your phone, thanks to Jinhoo’s WiFi-enabled technology and their Mini Projector. Once your projector is hooked up to your home’s WiFi network, you can tap on it in your iPhone’s AirPlay settings.
From there, users can mirror their screens and watch their favorite shows and movies anywhere in their house.
This mini projector also comes with a USB port; you won’t need an HDMI specific cable and adapter. Compared to other projectors, this product is extremely affordable.
Its low cost, though, maybe reflected in some of the projector’s features. For example, the speaker system is adequate in small, enclosed quarters. In larger spaces, your audio can come across as tinny or strained.
The “minimum throw distance” for this projector is less than five feet. That essentially means that viewers can use this projector in small areas, like pointing at the ceiling while lying in bed.
It supports 1080p video, although some viewers note that the image appears pixelated at a far distance.
- The device has WiFi capabilities and can connect to your network directly.
- The product comes with a thin, portable screen for your viewing opportunities.
- The company offers a three-year money-back guarantee if you find there’s an issue with your projector that their support team cannot solve.
- This projector is only best in low-light environments; If it’s too bright, the image will be lost.
- You may need external speakers for larger areas.
- The additional projector screen is thin. If there’s light behind it, you won’t be able to see an image reflected on it.
Viewsonic M1 Mini
- POCKET-SIZED DESIGN: Measuring only 4x4 inches, this LED projector with WVGA (854x480p) resolution delivers convenient...
- SMART STAND: Enables easy placement in a variety of positions and angles. The smart stand also doubles as a lens cover
- PREMIUM AUDIO: An integrated JBL speaker delivers big sound in a small package that’s perfect for music and movies at home or on...
The Viewsonic M1 Mini is one of the most compact and portable projectors available today. The device is small enough to put in your pocket or bag and comes with a built-in battery. It has a short throw-distance, so you can view large images even in a tight space.
The projector may not be as bright as competitors; it displays best in darker rooms and environments. Its internal speaker system, however, is top-notch.
It’s small, but it packs a powerful punch in terms of audio production.
To mirror your iPhone on this portable projector, you will likely need a Lightning Adapter cable. Plug the lightning adapter cable into your phone, and connect to the provided USB-C cord. Once your iPhone is wired in, AirPlay should be available.
- Extremely compact and adjustable— you can angle this projector in a broad spectrum.
- Excellent quality built-in speakers.
- The projector turns on and off automatically when you flip its stand down or up.
- The built-in battery only has a 2.5-hour charge life.
- You won’t be able to connect via Bluetooth.
- The video resolution isn’t as strong on this projector as some competitors.
PVO Mini Projector
- ☀ Gift for Children: Mini projector is a must-have product for children to watch cartoons and videos, which is very popular with...
- ☀ Small and Portable: Mini video projector is small and portable, and can be carried in a pocket or bag. Even children can hold...
- ☀ Upgrade Performance: YG300Pro upgraded in 2021, support 1080P full HD and the natural resolution have increased to 800*480....
A portable projector that delivers excellent image quality and resolution; The PVO Mini Projector can connect with your iPhone, and its price may surprise you.
This projector connects to your iPhone through a cable; it is not entirely WiFi or Bluetooth-enabled. You’ll require a Lightning to HDMI adapter to link the two devices.
The PVO mini projector comes with built-in speakers. If you’re hoping for higher-quality or louder sound, consider hooking up an external speaker to the speaker jack.
The maximum recommended distance for projecting images or videos is just over 12 feet to ensure the video quality is bright and not over-pixelated.
- The fan on the projector itself is quiet and not disruptive
- The projector can be controlled via remote control.
- The least-expensive item on our buying guide.
- Picture and video quality is above-average considering the price of this projector.
- If you’re sitting far away from the projector, you may not be able to hear the speakers well.
- No built-in battery; The projector will need to remain plugged in.
Final Thoughts and Best Pick
There are dozens of projectors to choose from today, but if you’re specifically looking for one that is compatible with an iPhone, consider the Jinhoo WiFi Mini Projector. This WiFi-enabled device can quickly connect with your phone or iPad and doesn’t necessarily require any cable connections.
However, you can hook up most video projectors with a USB or HDMI port to an Apple TV. In that case, you can use AirPlay to connect your phone to your new entertainment set up.