3 Popular Curved Monitors For Graphic Design
Is curved monitor for graphic design?
It’s a question that many designers have nowadays because of the low prices of high-quality curved monitors in the market but none are truly able to find the best answer.
So, should you invest in a curved monitor for your graphic design work?
In this article, we’re going to talk about curved monitors and their usage in the design field along with the pros and cons they come with.
- Is Curved Monitor Good for Graphic Design?
- Why use Curved Monitors?
- How is a curved monitor different from a flat-screen?
- Pros of Using Curved Monitor for Graphic Design
- Cons of Using Curved Monitor for Graphic Design
- Tips to Make the Most Out of Your Curved Monitor
- Final thoughts and best pick
Is Curved Monitor Good for Graphic Design?
Graphic designers using curved monitors have a better view of their creations and have more attention to detail when it comes to designing work. However, there are some problems associated with curved monitors being used for graphic design as well.
Why use Curved Monitors?
Curved monitors were designed with the idea in mind of providing the viewer with better viewing angles that fit their field of vision.
According to researchers, early curved monitors were able to fit 75% of the peripheral vision of human beings and now even better-curved monitors are being designed.
This doesn’t only make the viewing experience better, it makes it more immersive and you can truly capture the essence of whatever you’re trying to present through the screen to the customer if you’re designing something visually.
If you are using AutoCAD you may want to check my article about curved monitor for AutoCAD.
How is a curved monitor different from a flat-screen?
There are a few very obvious differences. Let’s address those first. The main difference is the viewing angles. The curved monitors are angled for a better field of view whereas flat-screens aren’t.
Flat-screens are optimal for multi-screen displays whereas curved monitors aren’t. Curved monitors provide a better, more immersive experience for designers and gamers whereas flat-screens serve as a better option for programmers and people looking to do multi-tasking on their PCs.
These differences make curved and flat monitors usable in different circumstances.
Pros of Using Curved Monitor for Graphic Design
If you choose to get a curved monitor for your graphic design work, here are some of the benefits you’re going to get over a normal flat-screen display.
1. Better Viewing Angles
Obviously, the first thing that you’ll find incredibly eye-pleasing is the better viewing angles of the curved monitor.
You’ll be able to work quite easily because of the screen displaying perfect colours from different angles.
2. Immersive Experience
Due to the viewing angles, you’ll feel more immersed in the screen. This will help you design better and create graphics that are more visually appealing and catchy for the viewers.
3. Only Need a Single Monitor
Unlike flat-screen setups, where you’ll have to spend a lot of cash to get a multi-screen display for design work, curved monitors allow for ultra-wide options that provide better visual aid than multi-screen display setups for a fraction of the price.
Cons of Using Curved Monitor for Graphic Design
Even with all the amazing benefits that curved monitors come with, there are some problems you need to take a look at before you buy one for yourself.
1. Curved Monitors Usually Come with Low-Resolution
The thing about curved monitors is that they’re designed for gaming purposes more than design purposes even though they’re great for design.
That’s why for budget builds, most curved monitors come with low-res and only a handful of expensive monitors are high-res.
2. it Takes time to adapt to the display angles
If you’re switching from a flat-screen display setup to a curved monitor with better display and viewing angles, you’re going to have to spend quite some time before you’re completely adapted to all the angles and the display visuals of the curved-screen which can be temporary problematic for graphic designers.
3. Curved Monitors are Fragile
Unlike battle-hardened flat-screen monitors, curved monitors are designed in a bent shape architecturally, which makes the overall structural integrity of the monitor much more fragile in comparison.
This fragility may end up breaking your screen if you’re transporting it somewhere which could prove to be quite a problem if there’s no warranty or insurance.
4. They don’t usually come with built-in cameras
As manufacturers tend to focus more on the resolution and refresh rate of the screens, they save on not adding the webcams. If you’re planning on using a camera, you may want to check the best webcams for curved monitors.
Tips to Make the Most Out of Your Curved Monitor
Curved Monitors are already great for design work. What can you do to increase the performance of your monitor above and beyond? You can calibrate it to the maximum settings it allows.
Here are some tips and tricks for calibrating your curved screen monitor.
Colour correction and Brightness Control – With the help of your monitor settings, you can correct the colour calibration and change the brightness settings of your monitor to perfectly fit your view.
Overclocking your monitor’s refresh rate – Some curved monitors allow overclocking the refresh rate. Monitors with a 60Hz native refresh rate and a max capacity of 120Hz can be overclocked to achieve 120Hz constantly for a smoother experience.
Set your curved monitor ergonomically – Make sure you position the monitor an arms-length away from yourself and adjust the top of the curved monitor to align with the eye-level or slightly below.
With graphic design in mind and additional activities such as gaming, streaming, and surfing in view as well, we’ve selected some of the best high-resolution, great quality, affordable curved monitors that you can definitely take advantage of.
Here’s the list of monitors to choose from.
1. AOC CU32V3 32″ (My Choice)
- AOC 32" (31. 5" viewable) widescreen monitor with 4K UHD 3840x2160 resolution
- Super-Curve 1500R VA panel that displays more accurate colors with wide-viewing angles that comform better to the natural...
- Super-Color Wide color gamut with 121% sRGB, 90% Adobe RGB and 89. 8% DCI-P3 area coverage for truer colors, ideal for graphics...
When it comes to 4K display on a huge 32-inch super-curved screen, there is no monitor better or more affordable than the CU32V3 in the market at the moment. This is why it should definitely be on your priority list.
In terms of features, this AOC curved monitor is packed. Let’s take a look at some of them.
- With a curvature of 1500R, the viewing angles are truly immersive and exceptional.
- It offers 4K UHD resolution which is amazing for any kind of streaming, gaming, or graphic design work.
- It comes with a super-wide colour gamut with 121% sRGB, 90% Adobe RGB, and 89.8% DCI-P3 area coverage for amazing colour display for graphic intensive work.
- It is relativity cheap for the amazing features it has.
- Offers 4k resolution.
- Comes with Low Blue Mode that avoids harmful blue spectrum of light.
- Flicker-Free Panel for comfortable viewing.
- The refresh rate is locked at 60Hz.
- Not very flexible mounting support.
2. Sceptre 30-inch C305B-200UN
- 30" Curved Gaming Monitor 2560 x 1080 Full HD Resolution. Response Time- 5ms GTG
- DP Up to 200Hz Refresh Rate / HDMI 2. 0 Up to 120Hz Refresh Rate: More than double the standard refresh rate, 200Hz gives gamers...
- AMD Free Sync With Free Sync, gamers now enjoy smooth video and seamless on the spot movement through their fast paced games. Free...
For a very modest price, Sceptre provides us with an overclockable high-quality, high-res gaming monitor in C305B which can also be used for graphical design work effectively. That’s why it should be one of the main choices of yours in curved monitors.
If we talk about the features of this exceptional curved monitor, here are the main specs it offers.
- The Display port allows for the monitor resolution to be kicked up to 200Hz while the HDMI 2.0 also allows for a 120Hz refresh rate.
- It offers 1080p resolution which is respectable when it comes to graphical work or gaming.
- It comes with Free Sync Option which reduces the stutter and visual tearing which we can see during graphical intensive applications running on a system.
- It comes with a High-quality Gaming design.
- It also features Blue Light Shift Mode for reducing harmful blue light.
- It is fairly cheap for its features.
- The refresh rate is incredible.
- The resolution is not 4K.
- It can be more usable for gaming than graphical work.
3. Samsung 32 inch CF391
- Curved Monitor allows you to be fully immersed in the game experience.
- AMD Radeon FreeSync reduces image tear and stutter.
- 32" Full HD (1,920 x 1,080). HDMI, D-Sub cables included
Last update on 2021-10-17 / As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Learn more about us.
The sleek and smart 32 inch CH391 Curved Monitor by Samsung is truly a masterpiece when it comes to beautiful colours and visual display along with the amazing viewing angled screen for subtle and immersive design work. You should definitely consider this as a good option.
This monitor comes packed with a lot of features. Let’s look at them.
- The screen offers a curvature of around 1800R which is pretty curvy.
- It comes with 1080P HD resolution support which can be good for graphical and design work.
- Samsung’s 5000:1 contrast ratio delivers deep blacks and bright whites ensuring perfection of colours.
- It consumes only a small 0.3watts on standby.
- It is very visually pleasing.
- Uses energy saving plus technology.
- The large screen offers great visuals.
- The resolution is on average.
- It is expensive as compared to other products on the list.
Final thoughts and best pick
If you’re going to take my advice while choosing the ideal curved monitor, I am going to suggest you choose AOC’s CU32V3 because of the amazing price, incredible resolution, and perfect graphical intensive display capabilities it offers. You’re going to be set for a long time with this monitor if you’re looking for amazing and smooth graphic design work.